UNSW is endorsed by Sport Australia as an Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) and we offer flexible entry and study for identified elite athletes, allowing them to balance sport and study in order to provide pathways to life after sport.
Who are elite athletes?
The Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) Network has been established to identify and promote universities who have responded to the specific needs of elite student athletes by developing new, or promoting existing policies and practices which assist elite student athletes to undertake sporting opportunities whilst pursuing and achieving academic excellence. Sport Australia defines elite athletes as belonging to one or more of the following groups as an elite athlete or coach:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players’ Association
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association
- Rugby League Professionals’ Association
- Australian Professional Footballers’ Association
- Australian Basketballers Association
- National squad members from Sport Australia funded sports
- Senior/head coaches from state and territory institutes/academies of sport, national teams from Sport Australia funded sports or participating professional sports.
The Elite Athletes, Performers and Leaders (EAPL) Program supports students with a flexible entry process that considers both academic and elite achievements and recognises these by awarding adjustment factors (more commonly known as bonus points).
Students can be considered for EAPL points for undergraduate study at UNSW. The EAPL Program awards up to five points to high school leavers who have excelled in areas of sport, academia, leadership, and/or music at an elite level. Activities and/or commitments must have been undertaken in years 11 and/or 12.
The Elite Athletes, Performers and Leaders Support Program provides eligible current students with the necessary support to successfully integrate their academic life with their external pursuits in the form of enrolment flexibility, cross-institutional study options and leave of absence for travel commitments.
Elite Athlete profiles
Balancing study with elite sport isn't an easy task. But thanks to UNSW's Elite Athlete Program, our athletes are able to get the support they need to succeed on the field and in the classroom.