Despite the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, work is well underway on the new Village Green Wellness Precinct, a vibrant and connected place that will provide inclusive and exceptional sporting, recreational, social and wellness opportunities for students, staff and the community to come together to play, exercise, socialise and relax.
The project is currently on track for completion in September 2022 and will be a game-changing development for campus life. This week, members of UNSW's Sports Advisory Council visited the site to take a look at the progress and familiarise themselves with the new facilities that will be on offer for the UNSW community later this year.
The Village Green redevelopment will feature:
- Multi-purpose synthetic football field to FIFA and World Rugby accreditation standard
- Multi-purpose courts for netball, basketball and futsal
- 500m walking and running track
- Outdoor fitness equipment
- Seated viewing grandstand and electronic scoreboard
- Sports and recreational lighting
- Landscaped social spaces including urban farm and public art opportunities
- Futureproofing for additional activities and amenities including food and beverage
- Below ground stormwater infiltration tank.
Another important aspect of this project is the sustainability benefit the project will deliver with the upgrade of the below ground stormwater infiltration tank. The Village Green is an essential part of the campus stormwater and infiltration system. Aligned with UNSW’s Environmental Sustainability Plan 2019-2021, a new tank will be installed to capture campus stormwater underground, contribute to recharging the Botany Aquifer, and in doing so provide a substantial source of sustainable water supply on campus. Together with the multipurpose pitch the redevelopment will reduce water usage on the site.
For more information about the project, visit the Village Green Redevelopment page on the EM website.