We would like to announce the Blues & Sports Awards nominations for 2022 are open. There are a number of new awards to recognise and celebrate the true breadth and depth of sport at UNSW from excellence to participation to community. The date of the Blues Dinner & Sports Awards will be confirmed in the new year.
AWARD CATEGORIES, DESCRIPTIONS & CRITERIA BELOW
Nominations will close 5pm AEDT on Monday 19th December. The online nomination form is at the bottom of this page.
Academic Excellence Award - Most outstanding academic achievement by a student athlete (student only)
Alex Blackwell Award - see detailed criteria below (student or club member)
Arc Sport Student Life Award (formerly Community Sports Award) - Most outstanding contribution to student life through sport, recreation or physical activity (student or club/society)
Blues Award - see detailed criteria below (student only)
Club of the Year - Most outstanding achievements by a club across the following areas (i) sporting performance (ii) student engagement (iii) participation (iv) community
Coach of the Year - Most outstanding performance or contribution by a coach for a UNSW Club or Team (student or club member)
College Sports Award - Either for most outstanding (i) contribution to college sport at UNSW (ii) outstanding sporting performance through the Inter-college Sports Association competitions (student or college)
Doug Crawford Sports Recognition Award - see detailed criteria below (student or club/society member)
Female Student Athlete of the Year - Most outstanding performance from a female student athlete at elite level (student only)
Indigenous Sport Award - One of the following: Most outstanding (i) sports performance (ii) contribution to sporting life at UNSW (iii) contribution to Indigenous community through sport (student or club member)
Male Student Athlete of the Year - Most outstanding performance from a male student athlete at elite level (student only)
MEDIBANK International Student Sport Award - One of the following: Most outstanding (i) sports performance (ii) contribution to sporting life at UNSW (iii) contribution to the International Student community through sport (student or club member)
Pride Award - A student or club/society who have shown great leadership to be inclusive of the LGBQTI+ community (individual or club/society)
Sport Initiative of the Year - The initiative which has made the most outstanding contribution to increasing opportunities or participation in physical activity, sport or recreation at UNSW (student or club/society only)
Team of the Year - Most outstanding sporting performance or achievement by a team within the UNSW sporting community
UniSport Athlete of the Year - Most outstanding performance by a student athlete at UniSport Nationals
UniSport Team of the Year - Most outstanding performance by a team at UniSport Nationals
Volunteer of the Year (formerly Sports Administrator of the Year) - Most outstanding contribution to sporting life or a sports club by a volunteer (student or club member)
Alex Blackwell Award - Criteria
The nominee upholds the values and vision of the UNSW Women in Sport and Active Recreation Strategy in one or more of the following ways:
- advocating for women and girls in sport and active recreation
- being a trailblazer for women in the leadership of a sporting club or organisation
- coaching or developing programs that have increased women’s participation in sport
- supporting or being a role model for girls and women who want to participate or be involved in sport.
Blues Award - Criteria
The UNSW Blue award recognises and celebrates UNSW students who have achieved the highest level of sporting excellence in their chosen sport, who are a person of outstanding character and values, and who have made a contribution to sport at UNSW.
- The nominee must be a current student enrolled in a degree or diploma at UNSW.
- The nominee shall be an outstanding performer and meet the individual and/or team standards in their sport, and be approved by the Blues Committee.
- The nominee shall for a minimum period of TWO competitive years have actively participated at the highest level of sport, or equivalent, for which the University competes in that specific sport, or equivalent.
- Nominees shall at all times demonstrate excellent sportsmanship and uphold the UNSW values throughout their sporting and academic career.
- Nominees are not required to have played for or represented UNSW, only to have participated at a level of competition that is equivalent to, or above, the highest level available at UNSW. In some cases, nominees may have competed for a different club or team, or individually against UNSW – this is not a valid reason for not receiving a Blues Award, providing they meet all criteria.
Doug Crawford Sports Recognition Award - Criteria
Sport Recognition Awards are awarded to sporting club members for continuous outstanding contributions to their club and sport.
- The nominee shall have actively supported the nominating club for a minimum period of five (5) years including the year of nomination, either by consistent participation in the club's sporting or recreational activity or by valuable service to the club's organisation and administration.